Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Rosie's breech birth story





 Here is little Rosie's birth story for all of those who have asked. On Friday afternoon I went to see my midwife and she stripped my membranes, immediately after I had a back ache. Late that afternoon Adam went to the hospital (a different one than the one I delivered at) to work a 16 hour overnight shift. By that evening my back was killing me but I wasn't sure if it was just from having my membranes swept. Late that evening I could tell I was having intense back labor. My contractions were all in my back and killed! I wanted to try and wait it out til morning so Adam didn't have to worry about me or try to get off. But by 2:00 AM my back was killing so I called my momma-in-law to come watch Zaidee and my niece Ellie and my sister took me to the hospital. By the time we got there I was dying to get the epidural. It felt like someone was twisting my spine and stabbing knives in my hips and lower back. I was dilated to a 4. The anesthesiologist came in to give me an epidural, he poked me twice and told me to call him back if I didn't go numb after a half hour. Forty minutes later I called my nurse back and told her it wasn't working. The anesthesiologist finally came back after another hour of pain. He tried to get the right spot for forty minutes but couldn't get it so he called another anesthesiologist to come try. It was horrible to have to sit there curled up during contractions while they poked around. Finally after eight attempts they got the right spot. It was almost 5am at this point and just after they got the right spot Adam came walking in. I was so happy to see him! I just tried to relax for the next several hours. I was progressing about 1 centimeter every 2 hours. At around 8am my mom-in-law got there and we all just hung out in my room. At 1pm my  water broke and by 3:30pm they were ready to take me back to the OR to start pushing. I had to deliver in the OR because she was breech. There were 22+ doctors and nurses in there to help if needed. Plus several nurses looking in through a window from the NICU into the OR. At around 4pm I started pushing and she was born at 5:49pm. Once her bum and legs came out she popped right out. It was funny because there were so many people in there that when I was pushing and she'd start to come out it was like a roaring crowd. I am so glad that she is here and safe and that I was able to forgo a C section.  Rosie is doing great. She's a great eater and sleeper already! And Zaidee is enjoying being a big sis :)






3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! She's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a super woman! I'd rather give birth 7 times in a row than have a c-section, but then I've never had a baby breech ;) Congratulations to your cute family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I talked to grandma this week and she was so excited to tell me all about you and Rosie! That's amazing tht they let you have her breech! What a blessing! Hope you guys are doing well and getting as much sleep as you can :)

    ReplyDelete